Egypt is always one of the countries that are interested in implementing advanced global developments, including the Advanced Cargo Information system.
It’s a new customs system that makes shipment data and documents available at least two days before the shipment so that the concerned authorities can take all measures and monitor any danger to Egypt to ensure the security of citizens.
The implementation of this decision reflects the digital development that Egypt witnessed in the previous period, and worked to improve Egypt’s ranking in several global indicators, including:
- global competitiveness.
- Doing business.
- macroeconomic environment.
- digital evolution.
Tech Village was keen to monitor all the details of the new customs system ACI, with all its features, and how to register in this system through Nafeza website.
What is Advanced Cargo Information?
It is a new customs system affiliated with Article 39 of the Customs Law for the year 2020, which works on exchanging shipments data and documents electronically and obtaining prior approval during the “pre-shipment” stage, in a period of approximately two days from the time of submitting the application, which reduces the period of customs release.
This gives the opportunity for the concerned authorities to take action and monitor any risks to Egypt and its citizens through the risk management system, and the security of citizens is of paramount importance to the Egyptian government.
Advantages of Advanced Cargo Information
- Protecting Egyptian citizens from goods of unknown origin.
- Reducing the time that shipments and goods spend in ports.
- Electronic registration and dispensing with routine procedures and paper documents, which take more time.
- Flexibility in taking all actions.
- Dispose of the person called “Alcahol” who is an unidentified person responsible for the issues of goods of unknown origin.
- Disposal of neglected goods at customs ports.
- Improving Egypt’s ranking in digital development.
Date of application of this system
It was agreed to implement the Advanced Cargo Information in Egypt in two phases:
The first stage
It is a trial operation phase starting from 1- 4 – 2021.
The second phase
It is the mandatory operating phase from 1-10-2021.
Who will be affected by this system?
- Importers of shipments.
- Foreign suppliers.
- Customs clearance workers.
- Shipping companies.
Steps to join the new customs system “ACI”
- Create an account on the Nafeza website.
- Obtaining an electronic signature through specialized agencies such as “Misr Almakssa” and “Egy trust” companies.
- Inclusion of pre-data in the shipping process on the “Secure Information Exchange” platform using the “Block-chain” technology.
- Submit a request for a shipment identification number (ACID).
- This request shall be answered by the Customs Authority within two days.
- If the request is accepted, an email with the identification number is sent to the foreign source.
- Notifying the importer through his electronic account on the website.
- After that, the exporter sends the shipment electronically.
- The supplier reviews and approves this data on Nafeza.
- After that, the pre-clearance procedures for shipments are started.
The data transfer process is done by “Block-Chain” technology.
What is Block-chain Technology?
It is a technology that enables people or companies to transfer data and private documents of high value to each other without the intervention of any intermediary.
In simpler terms, it is a series of records or fixed blocks of data, these records or blocks are managed by a group of computers that are not owned by any entity, and these blocks are linked to each other using encryption.
ACI System requirements
- The importing company must register an account on the website.
- Create accounts for persons authorized by this company on the same site.
- The delegates obtain an electronic signature certificate.
customs clearance companies
- Create an account for the customs clearance company on the Nafeza website.
- Create accounts for representatives of this company to deal on the site.
- The representatives of this company obtain an electronic signature certificate.
- Create an account for the exporting company on the website.
- Create accounts for authorized persons for this company.
- Confirming the ACID shipment identification number on all shipment documents and the identification numbers of the foreign exporter and the Egyptian importer.
- Send the list of shipments to be shipped from the source to the Egyptian ports on the website, 24 hours before leaving the means of transport, to ensure that the data and identification numbers of the shipment, supplier, and exporter are correct.
- Sending the shipping list to Egyptian customs through the website 48 hours before the arrival of the means of transport.
Egypt is going to digital
Implementation of this system is the biggest evidence that Egypt is going strong in the digital world, and Egypt always strives to be ahead of everything that is new in the digital world.
As of April 2021, the Advanced Cargo Information system is required for all goods destined for Egypt.
From this date, the importer in Egypt must notify the ACID number to be mentioned in all future shipping documents, along with the identification number “tax ID“.
The ACID number consists of 19 numbers, valid for 3 months from the date of issue.
This number is given to the carrier and included in the bill of lading.
And if the mentioned data do not match what was mentioned by the consignee to customs, the process of unloading the goods at any Egyptian port will not be completed and they will be returned to the port from which they came.